[b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Aug 8 17:14:28 EDT 2005

Recent extensive discussions on the pronunciation of yhwh have made me realise
that the meaning of the name is far more important to me than the recovery of
its original pronunciation.
A lack of forthcoming liguistic evidence to support a hiphil form has made me
reconsider my prior understanding of the name's meaning, which as I have said
is far more important to me.

For this reason I have a question addressed to the Jews among us:

What does Jewish tradition have to say about the meaning of the divine name?

It doesn't.  It doesn't seek a meaning, because it is G-d's Name.

It, as other names, are used in the Torah, to let us know which
aspect of G-d is at play.

Only the Kabbalists analyze this NAME, to derive that each letter
stands for one of the Sephirot (Chochma, Bina, Tiferet and Malchut,
if I remember correctly), and that one can learn from this Name how
they interrelate, ie; when and how Divine energy flows from G-d to us.

Shoshanna