[b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 8 13:23:46 EDT 2005

On 08/08/2005 16:33, Jim West wrote:

>Ezekiel is doubtless, doubtless, doubtless, describing events between
>his own exile in 597 and the destruction of the Temple in 587.  That
>there were odd things going on in the temple during that interim (and
>even before) seems borne out by lots of prophetic denunciation of temple
>activities.  notably Jeremiah.  So, it is a good trick- but one
>reflective of actual practice.
>
>Jim

Well, Jim, you are right, and Dave is wrong, as far as the dating is
concerned: the sixth year (8:1) is probably 592 BC, and it was not until
the 12th year that Ezekiel heard of the final fall of Jerusalem, 33:21.
And I would tend to agree that odd things were going on in the Temple
during those years, as reported by nearby Jeremiah, e.g. 19:4-6, 23:11,
as well as far off Ezekiel. But I am very surprised to hear from you
that the inscriptions "were in the temple itself" when there is no
evidence for this apart from a prophetic vision.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/