[b-hebrew] Tenses and aspects; was: footnotes

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Aug 8 12:05:02 EDT 2005

Dear Bryan,

The subject and verb of a clause may occur outside the clause in modern
languages, and that is possible in classical Hebrew as well, though to a
lesser extent, because Hebrew clauses generally are simple. The requirement
of being a clause is the existence of a subject and a verbal. If we think
that a syntagm is a clause, and subject or verbal is lacking, we look for
them outside the clause.  But when we have such elements in the syntagm, we
are satisfied.

In Hosea 1:9(19)c we have a subject and an object, and the clause gives
sense without more grammatical elements. So, why should we look for an
adverbial outside the clause in order to fill the first position of the
clause? If you have an English clause that gives sense, and which have a
subject and an object, would you then look for extra adverbials outside the
clause? I think that only when the lexical meaning of the words and the
context clearly shows that words outside a clause should serve as an
adverbial inside the clause, then you will make that analysis.

In Hosea we have a setting, BMQM, but there is no grammatical or syntactic
reason to view this setting as a grammatical element in c), thus
transferring it to c). The point is not that it is impossible for a
grammatical element of a clause in Hebrew to graphically occur outside the
clause. But such occurrences are rare, and they should be perefectly clear
before they can be accepted. My main objection to your analysis of a
sentence initial adverebial in c) is that it is driven by theory and not by
necessity.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of oslo