[b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Aug 8 11:27:12 EDT 2005

A good trick, since there was no temple in Ezekiel's day as far as we know.
The key phrase here is "in a vision."  I would think it's rather obvious that
this is figurative language.  Moreover, we know from Kings - as I believe I
already said - that various images, idols and altars had been set up in the
temple in Josiah's time.  Getting rid of them was part of his recorded
reform.  But Jim, it would be good to read what I actually wrote.  Dora said
there was "graffitti [sic] scrawled everywhere...blessing Yahweh and Ba'al
and their jointly held wife, Asherah."  First of all, the connection to Ba'al
in the Kuntillet Ajrud inscription is tenuous at best, and second, to my
knowledge, that's the only inscription found so far that describes Asherah as
a consort (if that's what "his Asherah" means) of YHWH.  You can drag in
various figurative visions and things like this, but I was addressing one
specific statement about one specific inscription.  Frankly, we have no idea
whether this "vision" of Ezekiel's described something literal or served as a
metaphor for Judah's unfaithfulness.  You clearly want to take it literally;
do you do the same thing with the wheels within wheels in the earlier
chapters?  Weird figurative imagery is one of the hallmarks of Ezekiel in
general.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur