[b-hebrew] Tenses and aspects; was: footnotes

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Aug 8 06:35:20 EDT 2005

Dear Bryan,

Now I realize that we use the concept clause-initial (I have used
sentence-initial with the same meaning) very differently. For me a
clause-initial verb is one that begins a clause with no element preceding. I
use the term "clause" in the normal sense: "a syntagm that contains subject
and verbal ( implicit or explicit verbal)". Basically I find that this
definition accords with Masoretic pointing. Above )TM, the word before the
YIQTOL we are discussing, we find a zaqef qaton, which is a strong accent.
This marks the end of the previous clause, as I see it.

In 3) I find four clauses:

a) "In the place where it was said (YIQTOL) to them"  verbal clause
b) "`You are not my  people,`"  nominal clause
c) "it will be said (YIQTOL) to them" verbal clause
d) "`The sons of the living God`"  nominal clause with implicit "you are"

On the basis of the analysis above, I find that the YIQTOL in 3) is clause
initial.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo