[b-hebrew] Coat of sleeves, or many colors?

Robert Heard Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Sun Aug 7 20:01:26 EDT 2005

Ben, Dora, et al.,

It seems to me that the drawings Ben mentions below would actually cut
in favor of the "long-sleeved tunic" reading, because Joseph's coat is
supposed to be _atypical_. If you take the drawing as indicating that
colored dress was _typical_ for Semites, then there is nothing special
about Joseph's coat. But if the normal Semitic working attire is a
sleeveless tunic with a short skirt, and Jacob gives Joseph a
long-sleeved tunic with a long skirt (going to the PS of his hands and
his feet), then giving the coat is like exempting Joseph from work
(because you couldn't do the manual labor as well tangled up in those
sleeves). Thus Joseph being at home later in the chapter while his
brothers were shepherding the flocks. There's nothing definitive about
this, but I think things tend to tip this direction.