[b-hebrew] Evil & God

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Sun Aug 7 17:37:46 EDT 2005

In regards to the Bible connecting evil and God, there are
more than a few such references beyond Isaiah.  Deuteronomy
30:15 says * See, I have set before thee this day life (ha-
khayim) and good (ha-tob), and death (ha-mevet) and evil
(ha-ra)* .   In Judges 9:23 God sends an *evil spirit *
(rukh raah) between Sechem and Abimelek as punishment for
the crimes of Jerub-Baals sons.  Four times in 1 Samuel 16
Saul is afflicted by an *evil sprit from God * (rukh-Elohim
raah). In Neh 13:18 it says *? and did not our God bring
all this evil (ha-raah) upon us ?*.  Job asks his wife
rhetorically?*What? shall we receive good at the hand of
God, and shall we not [also] receive  evil  (ha-raa)*?

Jack Tladatsi