[b-hebrew] YHWH & Elohim - A Bit More

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sun Aug 7 10:42:36 EDT 2005

I,for one, quite like your observations. Transliterations like IAO show a great
likelihood that Yaho/YaHu was used a divine name in everyday speech.

Another theory I've been giving much consideration is that names which we see
pointed as YeHoNaTHaN were originally YeHoWeNNaTHaN, with the final 'He'dissappearing
and causing and a doubling of the following consanant.
Of course, I have no proof to support such a theory but still consider it to be
a possibility.
To the best of my knowledge, there are no other Hebrew names in the corpus that
employ such shortenings, so either YaHo/YaHu was a name in use or there was a doubling
of the following consanat or I'm totally wrong and it was perfectly normal to put
shortened version of words in common names.

However, one good observation you have made is that YaHo does not shorten YaHWeH and
I think this should adequately show that it is time to abandon the two syllable theory.