[b-hebrew] Ehye; another five cents

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Sun Aug 7 03:51:21 EDT 2005

Besides 1s FT or imperfect, ehye could be other things:

- aleph as Aramaic 1s suffix instead of iod in Hebrew (1-2-3-person suffixes)
- aleph could be a vocalization, like in Ezra, before hih, not a meaningful letter

Since ehye is normally employed with I, interpreting ehye as 1s is a bit odd, introducing unwarranted repetition.

Theophoric yah - could it relate to the Aramaic suffix of a group (i.e., a Chaldean)?

Could anyone voice an objection to reading ehye in Ex3:14 as a refusal to tell Moses the name: "I will be what I will be," an equivalent to "none of your business"? If Moses was told the name, isn't it bizarre hat he did not tell it the people?

What is the explanation of schwa-kamatz in shlhni in Ex3:14? Aramaic? Or, perhaps, an imperative or a noun? If Aramaic, then aleph is ehye is also likely Aramaic.

Vadim Cherny