[b-hebrew] Footnotes, was: The translation of ehyeh

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Aug 6 13:18:01 EDT 2005

On 06/08/2005 13:33, B. M. Rocine wrote:

>...  All
>translations should have lots of footnotes.  Lots of the footnotes
>should read "or, "....""  Others should read, "meaning of Hebrew uncertain."

As a translator, I disagree. The issue depends on the target audience.
For relatively scholarly audiences using the text for study purposes,
lots of footnotes are good - although one has to bear in mind the cost
of all that extra paper. For general audiences using the Bible primarily
as devotional material, an abundance of footnotes is unhelpful. In fact
most of them are likely to remain unread, because a normal reader
reading a text will take the first sensible meaning which comes from the
main text, and refer to the footnote only if totally confused. This
footnotes which attempt to correct a misleading literal text are
worthless because they are ignored. It is much better to put the
explantory reading in the text, and if necessary add a footnote giving a
more literal rendering.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/