[b-hebrew] tsav latsav...qav laqav

Yaacov Yeretz ierets at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 12:48:33 EDT 2005

       96    DocumentEmail      false  false  false                        MicrosoftInternetExplorer4    /* Style Definitions */  table.MsoNormalTable	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;	mso-style-noshow:yes;	mso-style-parent:"";	mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;	mso-para-margin:0cm;	mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;	font-size:10.0pt;	font-family:"Times New Roman";	mso-ansi-language:#0400;	mso-fareast-language:#0400;	mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
Vince:

In Jewishcircles there has been a regular use of the word "tsav" through the millenniums.This is one of the words Jews have pretty little doubt about that it a command.But still there is a possibility that the root might be in use with other meanings.

BothKLEIN's Ethymological Dictionary (pub. by University of Haifa, Israel) and EvenShoshan's new Hebrew-Hebrew Dictionary in six volumes, give the very explanationyou have already got.

I justsupposed, the word might be of Aramaic origin, and therefore I turned toJastrow. You can see a scan of the respective page here: http://www.israelbiblicaltours.com/ierets/Download/Jastrow.gif

Persoanlly,I understand the words KaW LeKaW TSaW LeTSaW as an ancient discription of thecomputer and the internet(but not exclusively so).

Sincerely

Yaacov

----- OriginalMessage -----

From:"Medina, Vincent" <VMedina at cbcag.edu>