[b-hebrew] Job 1:8; 2:3

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Aug 5 23:21:57 EDT 2005

Dear Charles,

>While idiomatically it may well be that
>"considered" is a good translation, there is a
>possible inference that God is approaching Satan
>and bringing up the topic. I think that "what
>the Hebrew suggests" is that Satan had already
>carefully "considered" Job and therefore, in
>good English idiom, "set his heart" on testing
>Job.

HH: The standard interpretation I've heard is
that the devil as the accuser speaks ill of human
beings and finds things to criticize.
Particularly he attacks their loyalty to God. So
as Dave tried to point out, God would be drawing
attention to Job as someone who lived uprightly
before God. God points him out to Satan as a good
testimony, so Satan tries to show that Job serves
God only because of the blessings he receives or
the good times he enjoys.

Job fails to crumble under the pressure so God addresses Satan again:

Job 2:3 ¶ Then the LORD said to Satan,  "Have you
considered my servant Job? There is no one on
earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a
man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still
maintains his integrity, though you incited me
against him to ruin him without any reason."

Then Satan claimed that that under the
provocation of physical suffering Job would curse
God to His face. Throughout Satan is trying to
disprove Job as an example of a person loyal to
God who did what was right. It is in response to
God's initiative that he takes this tack. But God
evidently acts because Satan is always denying
that people serve God for godly reasons.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard