[b-hebrew] Job 1:8; 2:3

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Aug 5 23:08:48 EDT 2005

Dear Charles,

>  > >>Dave Washburn
>>  >>Actually, when God asks Satan "have you considered my servant
>>  >>Job?  Look how
>>  >>great he is. Makes your blood boil, doesn't it?????"  (my paraphrase,
>>  >>obviously) it almost appears that God is taunting Satan, daring
>>  >>him to make
>>  >>an accusation.  In both chapters, it is God, not Satan, who
>>  brings up the
>>  >>subject of Job.  What do you do with that?
>>  >>
>>  >Charles D. Rempel
>>  >Actually the Hebrew says, "Have you set your heart on my servant Job?" A
>>  >little different perspective then is implied by the English translation.
>
>>  > D. Jim West
>>  True- but in a woodenly literalistic way.  Or are you suggesting that
>>  satan pulled out his heart and placed it on job or that that was what
>>  god was asking?  of course not- its an idiomatic phrase- quite correctly
>>  rendered in english by "considered" in this context.  further- you say
>>  "the Hebrew says... " and then you give an english translation.  In
>>  point of fact the Hebrew doesn't say anything in English, it says it in
>>  Hebrew.  More correctly you should have said, "the hebrew suggests an
>>  english translation which would go something like this....."  I realize
>>  that sound pedantic- and in a way it is- but its precision we should
>>  strive for- and since that is what youve asked of Dave, that's what
>>  should be required of you.
>
>Actually, I had never considered the totally
>literal thought of taking ones heart out and
>"setting" it anywhere. While idiomatically it
>may well be that "considered" is a good
>translation, there is a possible inference that
>God is approaching Satan and bringing up the
>topic. I think that "what the Hebrew suggests"
>is that Satan had already carefully "considered"
>Job and therefore, in good English idiom, "set
>his heart" on testing Job.

HH: Dave seems right that the phrase &M LB means
to "consider," not "have a desire for" or
something like that. That is what my own
experience has taught, and a quick check of
places where the verb and noun stand together
support that subjective sense. In the following
verses, all that I found in the search, the
phrase always (7x) signifies something like
"consider":

Ex. 9:21 And the one who did not pay attention to
the word of the LORD left his servants and his
cattle in the field.
Is. 41:22  "Bring in [your idols] to tell us what
is going to happen. Tell us what the former
things were, so that we may consider them and
know their final outcome. Or declare to us the
things to come,
Ezek. 40:4 The man said to me,  "Son of man, look
with your eyes and hear with your ears and pay
attention to everything I am going to show you,
for that is why you have been brought here. Tell
the house of Israel everything you see."
Ezek. 44:5 ¶ The LORD said to me,  "Son of man,
look carefully, listen closely and give attention
to everything I tell you concerning all the
regulations regarding the temple of the LORD.
Give attention to the entrance of the temple and
all the exits of the sanctuary.
Job 1:8 ¶ Then the LORD said to Satan,  "Have you
considered my servant Job? There is no one on
earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a
man who fears God and shuns evil."
Job 2:3 ¶ Then the LORD said to Satan,  "Have you
considered my servant Job? There is no one on
earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a
man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still
maintains his integrity, though you incited me
against him to ruin him without any reason."

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard