[b-hebrew] Job 1:8; 2:3

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Fri Aug 5 22:11:42 EDT 2005

Charles Rempel wrote:

>>Actually, when God asks Satan "have you considered my servant
>>Job?  Look how
>>great he is. Makes your blood boil, doesn't it?????"  (my paraphrase,
>>obviously) it almost appears that God is taunting Satan, daring
>>him to make
>>an accusation.  In both chapters, it is God, not Satan, who brings up the
>>subject of Job.  What do you do with that?
>>
>>--
>>Dave Washburn
>>

>Actually the Hebrew says, "Have you set your heart on my servant Job?" A
>little different perspective then is implied by the English translation.
>
>Charles D. Rempel

True- but in a woodenly literalistic way.  Or are you suggesting that
satan pulled out his heart and placed it on job or that that was what
god was asking?  of course not- its an idiomatic phrase- quite correctly
rendered in english by "considered" in this context.  further- you say
"the Hebrew says... " and then you give an english translation.  In
point of fact the Hebrew doesn't say anything in English, it says it in
Hebrew.  More correctly you should have said, "the hebrew suggests an
english translation which would go something like this....."  I realize
that sound pedantic- and in a way it is- but its precision we should
strive for- and since that is what youve asked of Dave, that's what
should be required of you.

Best

Jim

--