[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Aug 5 20:14:15 EDT 2005

Dear Evgeny,

>Just to offer for consideration another possible
>translation/interpretation of 2Sam24:1

>The anger of God (towards people of Israel)
>moved IN THEM (BaHeM) David to say ...
>(Actually, this is
>exactly how this verse is translated in Russian
>(Sinodal) Old Testament translation)

>So the anger of God caused (moved) people of
>Israel to ask (tempt) David to command to
>count. >Theological explanation - anger of God
>is withdrawal of His grace, so man become
>subject to >temptations. The anger of God
>(withdrawal of grace) caused such a
>psychological state in both Israel >and David
>that they were moved by temptation to count.

HH: The Hebrew word order is against this
translation. You have reversed the natural order,
which would be "moved David in/against them."
Also, the preposition B before "them" seems to
match the same preposition before "Israel" in the
previous clause, where it means "against."

HH: The preposition B follows the verb SWT
("move/incite") in other passages with the
meaning "against," which further argues that it
means "against them" here in 2 Sam 24:1. Here is
one, and it may be the same author since it is 1
Samuel.  I capitalize the key words:

1Sam. 26:19 Now let my lord the king listen to
his servant's words. If the LORD has INCITED YOU
AGAINST ME, then may he accept an offering. If,
however, men have done it, may they be cursed
before the LORD! They have now driven me from my
share in the LORD's inheritance and have said,
'Go, serve other gods.'

HH: Here are other passages where SWT is followed
by B with the meaning "against."

Jer. 43:3 But Baruch son of Neriah is INCITING
YOU AGAINST US to hand us over to the
Babylonians, so they may kill us or carry us into
exile to Babylon."

Job 2:3 ¶ Then the LORD said to Satan,  "Have you
considered my servant Job? There is no one on
earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a
man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still
maintains his integrity, though you INCITED ME
AGAINST HIM to ruin him without any reason."

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard