[b-hebrew] The translation of ehyeh

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Aug 5 16:24:03 EDT 2005

Thank you Peter for adding some helpful details to the discussion.

I can also add that in all the uses of ehyeh in the Scriptures only Exo
3:14 and Hos 14:6 use the word in the clause-initial position.  Most
especially, I notice in YHWH's speech, ehyeh (when in an independent
clause) is usually preceded by pleonastic  'ani or 'anokiy.  I take this
information as a signal to read Exo 3:14's ehyeh as special, suspecting
that it is an expression of desire (a cohortative) rather than
knowledge.  I take ehyeh 'asher ehyeh to mean, "I intend to be what I
always am."  Of course, "be" and "am" are not entirely equivalent to the
use of the root hyh in Exo 3:14.

Shalom,
Bryan

--