[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 5 12:02:09 EDT 2005

On 05/08/2005 14:30, Read, James C wrote:

> I disagree here. While, you can be conclusive that the subject is
> different
> if the gender is different, you cannot be equally conclusive just
> because the
> gender is the same.

Well, can you tell me any clear examples where the subject changes but
is not signalled in any way - except by a theological inference from
something which happens 11 verses later? Your translation is justified
only by theology, not by what the text actually says.

> This is not the only case in scripture where the agent is ambiguous
> and it is
> clear that the chronicler, whose hebrew was better than ours, did not
> understand
> the agent to be Yah's anger but 'an adversary' or Satan himself.
> Your interpretation of the verse does not make sense.
>
> Yah got angry because David obeyed him?????

No, YHWH was angry and so told David to do this. I won't try to explain
this because that is to bring in theology. But the theological problem
arises only in v.12.

> The chronicler, evidently, was not led to understand such a thing and
> so his
> version of events clears the ambiguity by making the agent of the
> second clause
> explicit.

The Chronicler made multiple changes to this text, many theologically
motivated - if 2 Samuel 24 was his source at all.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/