[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:28:31 EDT 2005

On 8/5/05, Read, James C wrote:

> Yitzhak wrote:
>   Note that the term "Chronicler" is
>  generally reserved
>  for the author of Chronicles (for obvious reasons).
>  END QUOTE
>
>  And who did you think I was talking about?

I see now.

>  Yitzhak also wrote:
>  You might be confused because your translation mistakenly has "when
>  one incited"
>  END QUOTE
>
>  Yes. The translation is pragmatic and probably largely influenced by the
>  larger context of the situation which the 'chronicler' throws more light
>  on.

I don't see how the use of &+N in Chronicles justifies reordering the verbs
in this verse.  The verse doesn't say "when" it says "And [afterwards]..."

>  However, linguistically, there is no conclusive evidence that the subject
>  of the verb is Yah's anger. This is only one interpretation, which is
> logically   inferred by the presence of an explicit subject in the first clause.
>  The chronicler, however, was in such a position and clearly did not
> understand  Yah's anger to be the subject of the verb.

You're simply wrong on the linguistic issue.  But even assuming you are right,
how do you know that Chronicles did not understand the subject of "wyst" to be
God's anger.  Couldn't we translate it (in light of your translation
above) "And an
adversary stood upon Israel and one [ie, God's anger] incited David to count
Israel"?  If Chronicles "definitely" refers to the adversary in 1 Chr
21:1 then 2 Sam
24:1 just as definitely refers to God's anger being the inciter.

Yitzhak Sapir