[b-hebrew] Meaning of YHWH

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 09:22:15 EDT 2005

Yes! i fully appreciate what you are saying. But the problem is that the entire
context of the bible allows for many meanings to the name.

1)Gen1 in particular supports the interpretation 'He causes to become' i.e he creates
and therefore a Hiphil, but at this juncture we have to either abandon the theory
that it is 3rd person of Qal EHYEH or question the pointing of EHYEH.

2)The current pointing of EHYEH allows for YHWH to be 3rd person Qal in which case
the meaning would be 'He exists (in past, present and future i.e eternally) and this
is both in agreement with the context of the story at hand in Exodus, the context of
the entire bible (see Rev 1:8) and the pragmatic translation offered by the LXX

3)The interpretation 'He causes [himself] to become' is nowhere explicitly described of
Yah and is not supported by a Hiphil theory as the Hiphil never expresses reflexive
action. If we are, for whatever reason (dogmatic etc.) to assume that the meaning
is reflexive then we have to abandon the Hiphil theory and propose another form.

Thus, the context of the entire bible is little help here because interpretations 1
and 3 are equally supported.