[b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Aug 5 07:18:34 EDT 2005

On 05/08/2005 01:05, Jim West wrote:

> Peter Kirk wrote:
>
>> No, Jim, if I write that something happened, without qualification, I
>> mean not just that it is my view or opinion that it happened, but
>> that I know that it happened, beyond reasonable doubt. You cannot
>> know, beyond reasonable doubt, that the DtrH (whatever that might be)
>> was written after the exile, because there is insufficient evidence.
>> But I would let this pass if you could provide some good evidence
>> that this actually happened.
>

> Alas- if that's so- then you too are victim of the same inability to
> suggest that archaeology proves the Bible right, no?  Or is there
> another standard by which you determine things?

I don't understand a word of this.

>>> And what do Cyrus and Nebuchadnezzer do to prove the Bible's account
>>> of Israel's history? ...
>>

>> They are part of the Bible's account of Israel's history. They are
>> themselves something in the Hebrew Bible. And this confirmation of
>> the general accuracy of part of this history tends to suggest the
>> reliability of more of it.
>

> No they are not.  They are proof only that the biblical authors knew
> their names.  That's all.  Nothing more.

No. The biblical authors say a lot more about these kings, and several
other archaeologically attested Assyrian, Babylonian and Persian kings,
not to mention the Moabite Mesha` and various others, than just their
names. In the Bible there is quite a lot of archaeologically confirmed
information about their territories, their careers, their military
campaigns etc etc.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/