[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Fri Aug 5 00:11:11 EDT 2005

Dear Harold,

Thank you for the bibliographic suggestion. I have read Evans'
article and he does give food for thought. As far as I can tell,
Evans' argument that _satan_ is an "angelic intermediary"--neither a
fully-developed "devil" on the one hand nor a merely human adversary
on the other--in 1 Chron 21 neither depends upon nor requires that
the word _satan_ also be a proper noun. Indeed, interpreting the
passage as Evans does, but treating _satan_ as a common noun, would
be perfectly consonant with the passage from Numbers that I cited
earlier. I cannot detect any stronger evidence in Evans' article for
reading _satan_ as a proper noun than the fact that it is anarthrous,
which I think is inconclusive. Personally, I think it is strange to
take _one_ anarthrous use of _satan_ and argue that it is a proper
noun _precisely because it is anarthrous_, ignoring the two dozen
other occurrences of anarthrous _satan_ that _nobody_ takes as proper
nouns. I find Evans's suggestions about the Chronicler's "angelology"
interesting and worthy of attention, but I don't think he makes a
strongly persuasive case that the _Chronicler_ understood _satan_ as
a proper noun.

Best wishes,

Chris