[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Aug 4 21:52:16 EDT 2005

Dear Chris,

>In the quotation below and the longer text of your post, you are
>making theological claims, not exegetical or linguistic ones.

HH: Here's a linguistic one. This is an entry for
&+N ("Satan") from The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon
of the Old Testament:

-3. sía¦tˆa¦n as a personal name, without the
article 1C 21:1; clearly also a celestial figure
who incited David to make a census, see Rudolph
Chr. 142f; THAT 2:823 (with bibliography).

HH: The BAG lexicon has under &+N: "as n. pr.
Satan 1 Ch 21:1 (interp. 2 Sam 24:1) . . . ."

HH: It would be helpful to see how the word was
used in intertestamental literature, but I do not
have the resources with me.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard