[b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Aug 4 20:05:50 EDT 2005

Peter Kirk wrote:

> No, Jim, if I write that something happened, without qualification, I
> mean not just that it is my view or opinion that it happened, but that
> I know that it happened, beyond reasonable doubt. You cannot know,
> beyond reasonable doubt, that the DtrH (whatever that might be) was
> written after the exile, because there is insufficient evidence. But I
> would let this pass if you could provide some good evidence that this
> actually happened.

Alas- if that's so- then you too are victim of the same inability to
suggest that archaeology proves the Bible right, no?  Or is there
another standard by which you determine things?

>> And what do Cyrus and Nebuchadnezzer do to prove the Bible's account
>> of Israel's history? ...
>

> They are part of the Bible's account of Israel's history. They are
> themselves something in the Hebrew Bible. And this confirmation of the
> general accuracy of part of this history tends to suggest the
> reliability of more of it.

No they are not.  They are proof only that the biblical authors knew
their names.  That's all.  Nothing more.

Best

Jim

--
D. Jim West