[b-hebrew] Meaning of YHWH

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 19:21:05 EDT 2005

I don't *know* but will hazard a guess.  If I recall correctly, the  most
likely reason is that, though a hiphil of hyh/hwh is unattested in the  Bible,
such a form in 3ms would be "yahweh,"  which in turn would be the  same as
certain ancient Greek transliterations of the Name, i.e. IABE, IAOUA/E,  etc.

In other words, if such a form existed it would conveniently confirm the
Greek traditions.  And in meaning, it would describe "Yahweh" as the  Creator and
Fulfiller of his promises, a rather handy bridge between Genesis and  Exodus
in particular.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/04/2005 3:26:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,