[b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Aug 4 19:08:25 EDT 2005

Peter Kirk wrote:

> On 04/08/2005 20:50, Jim West wrote:
>
>> The DtrH does not find its genesis (thats a funny yet ironic phrase)
>> in the period of Josiah.  It was written after the exile.  And
>> probably during the Hasmonean period. ...
>>

> What evidence do you have for this unqualified assertion? I note that
> in a later posting you qaulified it with "in my estimation". But why
> didn't you write that the first time?

Well one can generally presume that anytime anyone writes anything they
are expressing their views.  I presume, for instance, that what you
write is what you think.  Further, I take it at face value that if you
think something you dont need to have 4000 other people think it for it
to be valid or invalid.  each thought has either merit or lack thereof
and truth is not determined by a popularity contest.  thats why i dont
generally play the "so and so says in this or that place".  I realize
some do not and cannot think for themselves, but i think better of you
than that and thus do not require your every word to drip bibliography.
As for evidence, the language of the text itself is sufficient to
establish its lateness, as the late Fred Cryer also recognized.  (see
any of his writings for confirmation of his views- which i share with him).

>> ... But you are right- there is scant archaeological evidence for
>> anything in the Hebrew Bible.
>>

> What, not even for Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus?

And what do Cyrus and Nebuchadnezzer do to prove the Bible's account of
Israel's history?  As I said to Brian offlist- the problem, i think, is
that archaeology is made to bear a burden of proof it cannot.  you have
artifacts and you infer from them certain things that you find in texts-
but that inference may not be correct and archaeology itself cannot ,
and does not, prove the connection.   The same must be said of the
materials to which you refer.  you would have them prove the bible and i
submit to you that your reasoning is circular.

best

Jim

--
D. Jim West