[b-hebrew] Meaning of YHWH

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 4 18:55:07 EDT 2005

On 04/08/2005 23:25, Read, James C wrote:

>I hate to keep pressing the point but does anyone know why there is an opinion
>that YHWH is 3ms hiphil of ehyeh Qal?

Sorry, I don't understand this. Is your question in fact "why there is
an opinion that YHWH is 3ms hiphil" of HWH? That I suppose is because
the form Yahwe, which is otherwise attested, looks like a Hiphil -
although it may also be a Qal. And then if you are wondering why the
change from Hiphil YHWH to Qal Ehye, well, that's a question I can't
answer - except by wondering if Ehye could also be Hiphil, although the
otherwise unattested Hiphil of HYH would probably by Ahye rather than Ehye.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/