[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Thu Aug 4 16:52:37 EDT 2005

I agree with Jim that the Tanakh is not univocal as to God's
responsibility for "evil," and I would remind participants in this
discussion that Hebrew רעה [R(H] has a pretty broad semantic range,
with the possibility of reference to everything from moral evils to
natural disasters, and more. But I want to focus on a different,
exegetical point:

On Aug 4, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Jim West wrote:
> HaSatan is responsible.  If you will remember, in the matter of the
> Census (which David got in such big trouble for) in the Deuteronomic
> history it is Yahweh who makes David do it- whilst in the
> Chronicler it
> is HaSatan.
[/Jim]

Although 2 Samuel 24:1 vs. 1 Chronicles 21:1 is a _locus classicus_
in understanding the difference between the Chronicler's treatment of
David and the Deuteronomistic Historian's treatment of David, and
although I have often thought about the texts in question in the
terms Jim expressed earlier, quoted above, in the last few times I
have looked at these verses, I have begun to doubt its accuracy.

Specifically, in 1 Chronicles 21:1 it is _not_  השטן [H&+N] that
incites David to count the people; it is merely שטן [&+N] (no
definite article). Now the lack of a definite article is very
important here, it seems to me. For the verse ought not be translated
"Satan opposed [stood against] Israel, and incited David to count
Israel," nor "The Adversary opposed ..." since there is no definite
article, but rather, "_An_ adversary opposed ...," with an indefinite
article. Now I wonder--I have not done the real legwork on this yet,
so I'm thinking out loud--whether the Chronicler thinks he is
referring to YHWH, or an entity other than YHWH, by this word,
indefinite שטן [&+N]. The Hebrew word שטן [&+N], of course, does
not _inherently_ refer to some malignant supernatural entity; see 1
Kings 11:23-25, where the noun שטן [&+N] refers to a purely human
opponent, though one who, importantly, was incited _by God_ to be
such. Moreover, there is nothing semantically out of bounds about God
being a שטן [&+N], or at least we can say that at least one writer
had no trouble characterizing the מאלך יהוה [M)LK YHWH] "angel
of YHWH" as a שטן [&+N] to someone (Numbers 22:22). Clearly, the
Chronicler is altering his Deuteronomistic source text. But is he
completely changing the referent, or just using a subtle circumlocution?

Chris
--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion