[b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Aug 4 13:23:46 EDT 2005

Here's the Vulgate of the verse-
formans lucem et creans tenebras, faciens pacem et creans malum : ego
Dominus faciens omnia hæc.

In spite of what has already been said- the Hebrew Bible cannot be
forced into a uni-vocal instrument on this concept.  In some places it
is indeed Yahweh who "creates weal and woe"!  Or, as here, "faciens
pacem et creans malum".  But there are also- later passages, where
HaSatan is responsible.  If you will remember, in the matter of the
Census (which David got in such big trouble for) in the Deuteronomic
history it is Yahweh who makes David do it- whilst in the Chronicler it
is HaSatan.  Thus- there was, in Hebrew thought, a development where at
the early stages God is responsible for EVERYTHING.  Later, this became
a bit much to take- so that the persian notion of a counter deity was
adopted and this counter deity (fallen angel, etc) becomes the source of
woe and ill.  See the pseudepigraphal material.  See, for a very
excellent treatment of the whole issue- Rainer Albertz's brilliant
History of Israelite Religion in the Old Testament Period (and don't
worry with what some on list may protest).

As to Eckhart- he's a bit outside the scope here (and a bit outside my
own interests too as he was a mystic and I don't have much tolerance for
such).  ;-)

Best

Jim

--