[b-hebrew] YHWH.. is the pronunciation important?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 4 10:42:13 EDT 2005

On 04/08/2005 14:53, Gene Gardner wrote:

>Zephaniah 3
>
>9 For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language,
>that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to
>serve Him with one consent.

I am surprised at your translation here. What is promised is SAFA
B:RURA, literally "a purified lip". While SAFA can mean "language", this
use is relatively rare. It is surely more likely that YHWH is promising
to purify the lips or mouths of his people, cf Isaiah 6:5-7, so that
they can worthily call on his name. But I don't see any suggestion that
their language will be changed by this - except perhaps by avoiding bad
words and blasphemy.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/