[b-hebrew] YHWH.. is the pronunciation important?

Gene Gardner g_gardner1234 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 10:29:58 EDT 2005

Bryan wrote:

Dear Gene,

You are entering into a question of religious practice
that is beyond
the mission of this list.  Please discontinue this
direction.

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair

Gene Gardner wrote:
> I have been pondering if the actual pronunciation of
> YHWH is all that important for a number of reasons.
If
> I remember correctly, the Mishnah refers to the
Hebrew
> language as leshon ha-kodesh.(the Holy tongue). Does
> that mean that it the final tongue? What I have been
> examining recently is this passage from the Hebrew
> Scriptures:
>
> Zephaniah 3
>
> 9 For then will I turn to the peoples a pure
language,
> that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to
> serve Him with one consent.
>

> The Name LORD is represented in the Hebrew as YHWH.
My
> question is, what would be this pure language that
is
> spoken of in this passage, and if it was a new
> language (not restored), wouldn't one be calling on
> new Name?

Sorry that I was not clear Bryan. Let me rephrase the
question. Do the members of the list think that this
passage is referring to a new or “renewed” language in
the Hebrew text?