[b-hebrew] translation of ehyeh

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 07:49:45 EDT 2005

Interestingly, the Jewish Orthodox English translation of this same Bavli
passage in Artscroll Mesorah's Schottenstein Edition of the Talmud (1997)  reads:

EHYEH ASHER EHYEH, - I Shall Be As I Shall Be.  The Holy One, Blessed  is He,
said to Moses, "Go and say to Israel, 'I was with them in this  subjugation
in Egypt, and I shall be with them at the time of their subjugation  at the
hands of other kingdoms.'  Moses said before God, "Master of the  universe!  It
is enough for an affliction to be dealt with at the time it  actually
arrives....Thereupon the Holy One, Blessed is He, said to him...'Go and  tell them, 'I
Shall BE has sent me to you.'"  (Berachos 9b)

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/03/2005 9:39:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,