[b-hebrew] The translation of ehyeh

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Aug 3 18:38:17 EDT 2005

On 03/08/2005 23:15, Shoshanna Walker wrote:

>I really find it so hard to believe that you are actually saying that
>the entire Jewish tradition (I've just read a few quick samples of
>commentaries for myself) is wrong about this.

Well, is it really true that this is the entire Jewish tradition? After
all, Jewish opinions are known for their diversity. And your few samples
may well be quite insufficient to prove your case. I cannot quote any
definitie counter-examples, but Gene suggested one when he wrote "I
believe that hayah  howeh  yihyeh is a rabbinic interpretation based on
Exodus 3:14" - in other words (if he is correct) these Rabbis held that
the divine name embraced past, present and future.

I must say whenever I hear this idea of God being future I can't help
thinking of the theories of Christian theologian Wolfhart Pannenberg and
cosmologist Frank Tipler, who seem to locate God entirely in the future,
at the Omega Point. While Tipler's idea of God as an infinitely powerful
super-computer to be built in the closing moments of the universe seems
entirely crazy, Pannenberg's theology deserves to be taken seriously.
Nevertheless, I don't think we can reasonably suggest that Moses shared
Pannenberg's concepts.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/