[b-hebrew] The translation of ehyeh

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Aug 3 18:15:23 EDT 2005

I really find it so hard to believe that you are actually saying that
the entire Jewish tradition (I've just read a few quick samples of
commentaries for myself) is wrong about this.

I can give you JEWISH philosophical theology that, yes ehyeh is a
personal name of G-d, and that it is "I will be" - the Torah is the
Jewish Bible, is it not?

Shoshanna

The debate over the translation of ehyeh can surely not be settled by
recourse to linguistic analysis alone, being as there are more than
one possible translations of it. The context of Exodus 3:14 makes
clear that ehyeh is to be understood as the self-identification
(personal name) of God. There is only one possible translation that
makes sense in this context, and that is 'I am', which makes perfect
sense. I'd be happy to explain to any who are interested, but the
explanation is philosophical theology, not linguistic.

K J Cronin