[b-hebrew] The translation of ehyeh

Kieron Cronin (yahoo) kjcronin2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 16:36:42 EDT 2005

The debate over the translation of ehyeh can surely not be settled by recourse to linguistic analysis alone, being as there are more than one possible translations of it. The context of Exodus 3:14 makes clear that ehyeh is to be understood as the self-identification (personal name) of God. There is only one possible translation that makes sense in this context, and that is 'I am', which makes perfect sense. I'd be happy to explain to any who are interested, but the explanation is philosophical theology, not linguistic.

K J Cronin