[b-hebrew] The Tetragrammaton; aia; is there a name in Ex3:14?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Aug 3 11:26:53 EDT 2005

On 03/08/2005 16:01, Awohili at aol.com wrote:

>I will only note the curious fact that nearly every English Bible that
>translates Ehyeh at Exodus 3:14 as "I Am"  has translated the exact very  same
>Hebrew word as "I will be" (or similar) at Exodus 3:12.
>
>Same word, only 2 verses apart.  Yet, different translation.  No
>*grammatical* or *contextual* rationale for this that I can see.

I tend to agree with you. 3:12 should also be "I am with you". This is
not future, but past, present and future, for God has clearly been
protecting Moses since birth. But this inconsistency goes back to LXX.

>Certain ancient translators of the LXX (Greek Septuagint) tradition  rendered
>Ehyeh at Exodus 3:14 plainly as ESOMAI, "I Will Be."

My LXX (Rahlfs edition) has EGW EIMI hO WN "I am the being (one)" at
3:14 with no note of any textual differences. But it does have ESOMAI in
v.12.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/