[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Aug 3 11:21:04 EDT 2005

On 03/08/2005 15:05, Heard, Christopher wrote:

>If we follow the storyline of the books of Ezra-Nehemiah, wouldn't
>the high priest at that time be Eliashib (Neh 3:1, 20; 13:28)?

Ah, yes, I missed Eliashib and Joiada in my list of high priests. I note
now also a genealogy in 1 Chronicles 6 ending with Hilkiah, Azariah,
Seraiah then Jehozadak at the time of the Exile. Then in Ezra 3:2 and
Haggai we have Joshua son of Jehozadak. Nehemiah 12:10 gives us a
further genealogy Jeshua - Joiakim - Eliashib - Joiada - Jonathan -
Jaddua. This may be the very latest historical record in the Hebrew
Bible, at least if we don't discuss Daniel.

So Ezra "son of Seraiah, the son of Azariah, the son of Hilkiah" would
have been closely related but not the actual High Priest. And Seraiah
can hardly have been his actual father, some generations must have been
omitted. We also have in Nehemiah 12:1 another Seraiah, as well as
apparently another Ezra, who returned to Jerusalem in 538 BCE, when
Jeshua was high priest. So the whole issue becomes rather complex, with
the same names recurring multiple times in the priestly families and
genealogies being incomplete. Maybe Ezra was in some ways acting as High
Priest in Nehemiah's time because Eliashib was collaborating with the
enemy Tobiah (Nehemiah 13:4,7, if this is the same Eliashib).

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/