[b-hebrew] Josiah's book of the Law

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Wed Aug 3 08:18:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 06:26:59 -0500 "Dora Smith" <villandra at austin.rr.com>
writes:
> I previously sent this only to Yitzhak by mistake.
>
> I am wondering; I beleive that Jerusalem actually existed for a long
> time,
> as a fortress; and that the archeological evidence shows that but
> just does
> not show that there was a city there.
>
> But if I knew it was mentioned in the Amarna letters, I've
> forgotten.
> Where and in what context is Jerusalem mentioned in the Amarna
> letters?
>
> Yours,
> Dora Smith
> Austin, Texas
> villandra at austin.rr.com
_____________

There are a number of letters classified as "Jerusalem Letters"; however,
not all of these specifically mention Jerusalem.  I am assuming that they
are so classified due to the names of the writers and other personages
mentioned.  EA 287 states

If this year there are archers, then the lands and the mayors will belong
to the king, my lord. But if there are no archers, then the ki[ng] will
have neither lands nor mayors. 25–32 Consider Jerusalem! This neither my
father nor m[y] mother gave to me. The [str]ong hand: zu-ru-u? (arm) [of
the king] gave it to me.??) Consider the deed! This is the deed of
Milkilu and the deed of the sons of Lab?ayu, who have given the land of
the king ‹to› the ?Apiru.

Moran, W. L. (1992). The Amarna letters. Translation of: Tell el-Amarna
tablets. (English-language ed.) (EA 287:20). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins
University Press.

I'm sure that some of the characters contained herein will not be
transmitted to the list so I offer my apologies for that.  I'm not
certain what needs to be edited to make it readable.

EA 289 also specifically mentions Jerusalem.

george
gfsomsel