[b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 10:55:19 EDT 2005

There is a long and confusing history regarding the Ethiopian "tabota
musa", that goes back in writing at least to the turn of the 13th
century. In various times it's been presented as the Ark itself , other
times as the tablets of the law. All Ethiopian orthodox churches have a
stone or wooden slab to represent the central cult object in the St.
Mary's Church in Aksum. Of course there are the Falasha and Qemant,
Ethiopian Jews, among whom these legends grew and from which they
spread. Interesting that of all the diaspora groups in all the world,
only this group and the Lemba of South Africa have living legends
related to possession of the Ark of the Covenant.

So, there is something to these legends, it's just a matter of finding
out what it is.