[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 2 09:40:01 EDT 2005

On 02/08/2005 14:29, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>In the verb hypothesis, some transliteration of he would be expected, and
>the word could resemble Ieue, albeit remotely.
>In my hypothesis of 1-2-3ms suffixes, I could imagine Iaoe, but not Ieue,
>unless in rapid pronunciation.

I wonder if you would accept Iaoue as sufficiently close to your "Ieue".
After all, upsilon on its own is improbable as Greek routinely used the
omicron-upsilon diphthong for the sound "w". And don't forget that
Clement's form was (probably) Iaoue. Theodoret's Iabe is a variant of
Iaoue from a time or dialect when the "w" sound had changed to "v",
which by then was the pronunciation of Greek beta. So, Clement's and
Theodoret's evidence supports "the verb hypothesis".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/