[b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant

Søren Holst sh at teol.ku.dk
Tue Aug 2 07:35:51 EDT 2005

Venturing outside the HB canon, the first thing we come across is 2. Maccabees stating that Jeremiah hid the ark in a cave east of the Jordan before the Babylonians destroyed the temple, and that Jeremiah said "the place will remain unknown until God brings his people together again and lets righteousness reign" (2 Macc 2,7-8 in my own feeble reproduction of a Danish translation). Whether this prophecy in the eyes of 2 Macc would most likely refer to the return from the exile in the late 6th century BCE or to an escathological situation, I'm not sure.

I *think* (please correct me) there's a rabbinic tradition that the ark is hidden somewhere under the temple mound and that therefore the shekinah still dwells at the same place. But is this hiding associated with the destruction of the first or second temple?

kol tuv
Soren