[b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant

Alexander Oldernes alexander at oldernes.no
Tue Aug 2 06:56:57 EDT 2005

Maybe your expertise can help me with this question...

I have read somewhere that when the curtain covering the entrance to the
Most Holy was torn in two, in the first century CE, the Most Holy was
exposed containing no Ark of the Covenant. In place of the Ark was a stone
slab upon which the high priest sprinkled the blood on the Day of Atonement.

I know the last mention of the Ark of the Covenant is in 2. Chronicles 35:5,
saying:
He said to the Levites, who instructed all Israel and who had been
consecrated to YHWH: "Put the sacred ark in the temple that Solomon son of
David king of Israel built. It is not to be carried about on your
shoulders."

This happened around 642 (?) BCE.

And now the question...
Do we know that the Ark of the Covenant was replaced by a stone slab?

If so...
Who writes about it?
Do we know when this was done?
Do we know what the stone slab looked like?

----

Alexander Oldernes