[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Tue Aug 2 02:06:47 EDT 2005

Martin,

I think you're on the right track, though I would sound a gentle
warning against taking this one statement, treating it as a
"concept," and equating it with a much later full-blown "concept." I
don't know whether you intended to do that, but your lead _could_ be
followed in that direction.

Having said that, verses like this are exactly the sort of data you
would need in order to start fleshing out how something like
"inspiration" would be understood by the Tanakh's writers and
readers. Of course, this verse applies very specifically to a very
short text--the actual "words of God" here are 2 Sam 23:3b-4, framed
by words attributed to David's composition in 23:2-3b and 5-7, and
introduced by an editorial framework in 23:1 (notice that David is
"David" in vv. 1, 8ff., but "me" in 2-3b, 5-7). This verse _as such_
(if believed) would speak directly only to the "inspiration" of the
oracle itself, not to David's intro, the editorial frame, or the rest
of the book of Samuel. Even so, I want to reiterate that Martin has
pointed precisely to the sort of thing that would count as data
toward Kevin's question--an explicit description of how a biblical
writer describes a particular text (in this case, of course,
originally an _oral_, not _written_, text, the oracle) coming to
composition. There aren't a _lot_ of these kind of statements,
especially outside the Latter Prophets, but they certainly do exist.

--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion