[b-hebrew] Names of the Tanakh (was Re: Inspiration)

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Tue Aug 2 00:01:08 EDT 2005

Yitzhak et alii,

Personally, as a Christian myself, I prefer the term "Tanakh" or
"Hebrew Bible," partially because it honors the prior and independent
status of these books as Jewish scripture, but also because it
clearly delineates which books I mean. Supercessionist connotations
aside, "Old Testament" is a slippery term, because different
Christian groups have different lists of "Old Testament" books: the
Protestant Old Testament is not the same as the Roman Catholic Old
Testament is not the same as the Eastern Orthodox Old Testament is
not the same as the Ethiopian Orthodox Old Testament ... Thus I find
"Tanakh" preferable for reasons of precision, quite apart from any
religious or ideological considerations.

Best wishes to all.

Chris