[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Mon Aug 1 22:43:53 EDT 2005

Shoshanna,

I'm not sure what Jim was thinking specifically, but if you don't
mind me jumping in: many North Atlantic Christians (and maybe others,
I'm just speaking from my own milieu) tend to make a distinction
between "inspiration," defined as God prompting the production of
_written texts_, and the broader concept of "revelation," defined as
God communicating with human beings for a variety of purposes. If God
said to Abraham, "Fear not, I am your shield and your great reward,"
that would be "revelation." If God said to Moses, "Write down the
words of this covenant" (that is, the Ritual Decalogue, Exodus 34),
that would be "inspiration." I don't know if Jim was really thinking
about that distinction, but I personally tend to find it a helpful
one. To summarize: the term "inspiration," in North Atlantic
Christian discourse anyway, tends to be limited to divinely-prompted
_composition of texts_. It's just a vocabulary thing (from my point
of view).

I think Jim is right to the extent that I can't think of any
_biblical_ Hebrew term for what Christians mean when they say
"inspiration." On the other hand, I do think that the _concept_ is
present (see my other post). Without doing an extensive search, my
hunch is that there is a Hebrew biblical vocabulary for "revelation,"
but it is pretty simple, usually just "God said ..." I have been
working through Ezekiel recently, and the concept of "revelation" in
the sense "You/they shall know that I am YHWH when x, y, z happens"
is a recurrent theme.

Best wishes,

Chris