[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Mon Aug 1 22:34:39 EDT 2005

Kevin,

As you know, this question can draw very heated or dismissive
replies, and as such any discussion of "inspiration" on this list
tends to get shut down very quickly. The fact of the matter is that
we have precious little comment within the Tanakh from the Tanakh
writers about their own writing activity ... but there _are_ some
such statements. In my exegetical judgment, all such statements refer
to texts shorter, and other, than our present canonical biblical
books. In other cases, there are not _explicit_ statements, but very
easily inferrable factors about how particular texts came to be
written. If you expand the data to the New Testament, you can get a
little bit more, but not much.

Over the years, in trying to explain "inspiration" to my students
(who are mostly conservative evangelical or quasi-evangelical
Christians), I have tried to use those precious few places where
biblical writers explicitly reflect on their own writing activity to
develop a model of the "mechanisms" of "divine inspiration" of
scripture (and, yes, in putting it that way, I am "tipping my
confessional hand"). I am actually trying to develop that model into
a publishable form for a denominational journal, but I would be happy
to share those ideas and the data behind them. However, that's
probably best done off-list, knowing the history of what tends to
happen here when the concept of inspiration is bandied about.

In another reply to your (Kevin's) post, Jim West wrote that there is
nothing in the Hebrew Bible about inspiration and that it is a purely
Christian notion. Jim, I don't agree with you on that. Inspiration is
clearly not a completely Christian notion--in fact, I would argue
(though I'll just posit for right now) that contemporary Christian
ideas about inspiration are significantly Islamicized, and actually
owe more to Islamic/Qur'anic tradition than to the Judeo-Christian
biblical tradition. But returning to the Hebrew Bible for a moment: I
do actually agree with Jim _to an extent_. That is, the Hebrew Bible
has no such thing as a "doctrine of the inspiration of scripture"
within it, and for that matter, neither does the New Testament have a
"doctrine of the inspiration of the New Testament" within it. The
writers of the Hebrew Bible did not know of the existence of any such
thing as the Hebrew Bible, nor could they have, because it did not
exist until well after they did their work, and therefore they did
not theorize or dogmatize about it and could not have done so. The
same applies, _mutatis mutandis_, for the New Testament and the
Christian Bible. Even so, the Hebrew Bible does witness to certain
beliefs about God being involved with the creation of written texts,
in a variety of ways, and therefore the _concept_ of "inspiration,"
if I may change Kevin's definition slightly to "the process of God
causing texts to be written," is definitely present within the Hebrew
Bible. I would go beyond that to say that there are certain implicit
dynamics in some texts that would allow us to infer certain things
about how God will have been involved in the creation of those texts.
Therefore, the concept of inspiration is, in my exegetical judgment,
present both explicitly and implicitly in the Hebrew Bible--but
please note that I mean the inspiration of _texts_, and not the
inspiration of the _canonical form of the scriptures_, for on _that_
score we have no inner-biblical _data_.

I probably should stop with this right now in this forum, but would
be happy to discuss the data, and what I think may reasonably be
inferred from it (given a belief in God), back-channel with anyone
who wishes to do, or here if the moderators want to give the green
light to this topic on-list (which I doubt will happen since the
topic so often turns contentious).

Best wishes to all,

Chris

--