[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Aug 1 22:32:11 EDT 2005

Why, what do you think G-d speaking to people - Avraham, Yitzchak,
Adam, Noach, Moshe, etc. - is?

Shoshanna

there is none.  the concept of "inspiration" is a completely christian
notion- and the Hebrew Bible says nothing of it.

Best,

Jim

Kevin Riley wrote:

> A question raised by a recent [and now ended] discussion: is there any
>clear evidence in the Hebrew scriptures or in Hebrew writings from *before*
>the exile that give us a clear picture of how the ancient Hebrews perceived
>inspiration [or whatever you want to call the process of God causing the
>scriptures to be written].  It seems to be assumed that they viewed
>inspiration in one of the ways we do, yet I wonder if we have any evidence
>of that, and if so what it is?  I don't want a reply  that tells me what
>inspiration is, or to start a discussion on which current view is correct -
>just what actual original evidence we have for an ancient Hebrew
>understanding of it.
>
>Kevin Riley

D. Jim West

Biblical Studies Resources -  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest