[b-hebrew] Inspiration

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Mon Aug 1 21:52:11 EDT 2005

 A question raised by a recent [and now ended] discussion: is there any
clear evidence in the Hebrew scriptures or in Hebrew writings from *before*
the exile that give us a clear picture of how the ancient Hebrews perceived
inspiration [or whatever you want to call the process of God causing the
scriptures to be written].  It seems to be assumed that they viewed
inspiration in one of the ways we do, yet I wonder if we have any evidence
of that, and if so what it is?  I don't want a reply  that tells me what
inspiration is, or to start a discussion on which current view is correct -
just what actual original evidence we have for an ancient Hebrew
understanding of it.

Kevin Riley