[b-hebrew] Verbs

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 1 08:06:53 EDT 2005

On 01/08/2005 12:43, Rolf Furuli wrote:

>Dear Peter,
>
>Your arguments below are of such a nature that I am considering whether
>there is any purpose in answering your posts any more.

Rolf, I don't understand your problem here. I know you don't agree with
my understanding of WAYYIQTOL. But you seemed to present these as
examples of how your understanding must be correct, and by implication
mine incorrect. Indeed you apparently made a claim earlier in that
posting to have falsified the model "aspects with the opposition
complete/completed versus incomplete", which is similar to the model I
had in mind (which also includes a discourse-related element similar to
Bryan's). My point here was to show that these verses can be understood
according to such a model, and thus that this model is not falsified at
least by these examples.

Now I don't want to oblige to enter into a detailed discussion of such
examples, which might be rather long. But I do want you and others to
understand that a four component aspectual model clarified with
discourse considerations is not easily falsified (unless you insist on
rare anomalous and possibly textually corrupt uses as falsifying a
general rule). Your full dissertation may provide such a falsification,
but simple examples like these two do not.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/