[b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Mon Aug 1 07:09:10 EDT 2005

Peter wrote

>... Also, if your careful Greeks represented schwa with alpha, all
>the more they should represent somehow the second he - much strong than
>schwa. ...

Well, my position is that the final he of YHWH is in fact silent.

END QUOTE

I agree. It's starting to look like the original tri-consanantal root was
HWY/HWW with a final H in the present form which serves only to lengthen
the final vowel, which we are still unsure of.

Peter proposes a long 'eh' as in Yahweh
While tri-syllabic supporters propose the long 'aa' of Yahowah.

Peter! Can you run me through the long 'eh' reasoning again? I still haven't
quite got the grasp of it.

Security System.