[b-hebrew] Verbs

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 1 06:52:12 EDT 2005

On 01/08/2005 06:15, Rolf Furuli wrote:

>1a. In the four hundred and eightieth year after Israel came of the land of
>Egypt...he began to build (WAYYIQTOL) the temple.  1 Kings 6:1
>
>1b. In the four hundred and eightieth year after Israel came of the land of
>Egypt...he built (WAYYIQTOL) the house.

>2. When Reuben heard (WAYYIQTOL) this, he tried to deliver (WAYYIQTOL) him
>out of their hands. Genesis 37:21

These WAYYIQTOLs are not necessarily conative. While I don't intend to
argue that WAYYIQTOL is always consecutive and perfective, in these
cases it may be. Here is another interpretation:

1 Kings 6:1 is a summary statement of the whole process:

And (then) it was/happened (WAYYIQTOL) in the fourth year ...
And Solomon built (WAYYIQTOL) the house to YHWH (a process seen in its
entirety in this summary statement)

vv.2-36 give details of the process, indicated by a break in the
WAYYIQTOL series, in a flashback relative to v.1 (indicated as very
commonly by X-QATAL), with an internal series of events indicated by
WAYYIQTOL:

(2) And the house which Solomon had built (X-QATAL) was (verbless) ...
(36) And he built the courtyard (WAYYIQTOL) ...

vv.37-38 are a closing summary, indicated by another break in the
WAYYIQTOL series and more X-QATALs:

(37) In the fourth year he had laid (X-QATAL) the foundation ...
(38) And in the twelfth year it had been completed (X-QATAL) ...

And then in Genesis 37:21-24, again the WAYYIQTOL "he delivered" in v.21
can be understood as indicating in summary the whole event in which
Reuben successfully saved Joseph. And then the everything from WAYYO'MER
in v.21 to the end of v.24 can be taken as more detail of the event,
showing how Reuben's work succeeded. Now I know that this is not
signalled by X-QATAL or similar, but I would still consider it a
possible interpretation.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/